Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Home again, home again

We survived the road trip to CO relatively unscathed, though it was certainly a bigger undertaking than past trips have been. Toddlers are not meant to sit in car seats for hours at a time. But all in all, the little one was quite a trooper, and tolerated the ordeal fairly well. She didn't get as much sleep as she needed most of the time, which resulted in several melt-downs, and was a little crankier than usual in general, but some of that can be chalked up to teething and diaper rash. It's unfortunate that they had to coincide with the trip (again!), making it that much harder on her.

One thing in particular to note: concentrating on driving while a toddler is happily, and sometimes not so happily, screaming at the top of her lungs in the back seat is not so easy. Add earplugs to the list of things to pack next time. Not that I consulted my list anyway. Totally forgot the outlet covers, and those would have been very handy!

Another note: when expecting a crib for your late arrival to a hotel room, it's a good idea to call an hour or so before your arrival just to double check on it. The 30 minute wait resulted in a completely awake (formerly asleep in the truck) girl that wouldn't go back to sleep.

The wedding was wonderful. Everything was beautiful, especially the bride! It's so nice to see two people that really belong together get married. Bon and Steve are a great couple, and I know they'll be good to each other. Our little angel looked particularly cute in her new dress, thanks to Jo and eBay. My procrastination almost left her with nothing to wear!

We spent several days in the mountains, which was fantastic. Aside from the time in Pine, we also took a day and drove around the Indian Mtn. and Elk Horn Ranch areas looking at properties for sale. It's a hobby of ours to pretend were in the market. The landscape was breathtaking. It was very peaceful, and I think the dogs and the munchkin really enjoyed running around and discovering things. The altitude didn't seem to slow them down any, though I was short of breath after a little hiking. I enjoyed pretending I could build a cabin here or there and spend weeks at a time living the quiet life, watching the clouds traipse across the huge sky, contemplating the not-so-distant mountains. I can't help wonder how I ended up in OK after a trip back to CO. While I love our town, the people, our life here, the mountains call to me. However, a day or two in amongst the press of humanity and traffic in the city (and a look at real estate prices!) reminds me that it's not all good, and then I'm thankful to return home again.

As much as I love going somewhere, I do love coming home. It's nice to get back to our routine, especially for the little one. She seems happy to be home with all her toys and the familiar surroundings. Luckily, we sold the house while we were gone, so we won't have the disruption of leaving while the place is shown. What a relief! A few weeks of "normalcy" before the move. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we all adjust quickly to the new house, which we'll be moving into in about 2 1/2 weeks.


Post a Comment

<< Home