Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Wow, what a tantrum

Our little coyote had a most impressive tantrum in the store today. It was the first time I actually had to leave my cart full of stuff and haul her out to the car and go home. Truly outstanding work on her part, I must say. All because she couldn't sit in the basket part of the cart. I have to commend her persistence. Little does she know that her mommy can and will outstubborn her. Hopefully she'll figure that out sooner rather than later.

Unfortunately, I still need to go shopping, and Jay is out of town. Fortunately, he gets home late tonight, so I can try again tomorrow with the little dickens, and if things go similarly, she'll have another golden learning opportunity, and I can go back by myself after dinner.

Where are the medals of honor for keeping my cool while she was having her meltdown in public? I swear to you, I even had a small, pleasant smile as I wrangled my wiggly-squiggly-screaming girl through the store toward the doors. I was kind of trying not to laugh, though I can't say now why I thought it was funny. I will say, there were relatively few folks giving me the evil eye for having such an "unruly and loud" child. Most people seemed somewhat amused by the free show. Or maybe that was my imagination.

Anyway, I guess she's ready to be 2!

2 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, Blogger ChemMom said...

I'm sorry! You are one brave (and calm) mama for dropping it all and leaving the store. I've actually never done it (truth be told, I don't think I've ever had any real tantrums that warranted it though.)

Hope you've been to the store by now. If not ... CALL ME! We'd be happy to keep your munchkin while you are shopping.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger gretchen said...

Thanks. I did, indeed, make it back to the store yesterday. Things went very well. This time I timed it for snack time and kept her hands and mouth full. Also, put her in the kiddie cart deal that has the blue plastic thing for her to sit in and the full harness.

She's been testing like crazy the last few days, especially about diaper changes, so I've been more meticulous about giving her "uh-ohs". Seems to be straightening her out some. Today she's been more agreeable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home