Thursday, January 19, 2006

I've leaped the childcare hurdle

Okay, so my husband and I are taking this parenting class. A friend of mine in Idaho (Hi, RoxAnne!) recently told me about it, and it just happened to show up at another friend's church here, so I signed us up. My husband wasn't too hard to drag along, and admits he's actually having fun. We've never taken a class together, and it's just a little weird, but mostly cool. So far I'm on board with most of what they've been teaching, and I'm catching a few good techniques that make sense and are actually working pretty well with little M.

The biggest thing about all of this is not the class material, but the fact that while we are in the class, little M is upstairs partaking of the complimentary childcare. Yes, that's right, folks! I actually take her there and leave! For two whole hours! Every Wednesday! Are you amazed? Are you astounded? She's 19 months old, and before this I have left her with someone other than her father exactly two times. And one of those was with the grandparents and Aunt Sally, which probably shouldn't count because they're family, but it was for like ALL DAY, and just about killed me. Well, and there was that one time I went running for about 20 minutes while the other grandmother was visiting. But little M was taking her nap, so that REALLY shouldn't count. Oh, and I left her with Chemmom while I went to an appointment or two, but we have playdates with her and her girls all the time, and she's totally capable and familiar and lives in the neighborhood. Okay, so I guess exactly two equals more like five. But still!

Regardless, I've finally jumped the hurdle. I am well on my way to seriously looking into a "Mommy's Day Out" program, where I will take my child and then actually leave the building! Absolutely incredible. This would be quite convenient in the near future, as I have just this week been solicited to do a web design project for my old boss/mentor at TAMU. After some slight hesitancy, I've accepted. Now all I need is time without distraction to do the work. Hence the hesitancy. Well, and a little self-doubt. I've been away for a while. But I'm over that, and looking forward to the project. It's actually a site I worked on when I was a student worker for Dr. Dan. Cool! And wow, does it need a redesign.

Anyway, so three cheers for me and my newfound ability to entrust my daughter to others for very short periods of time in very controlled situations. Yay, me!

2 Comments:

At 11:12 PM, Blogger ChemMom said...

Yes, yay you! Next thing you know you'll be shipping her off to summer camp. ;)

I'm glad you've signed on with the web redesign. Well, glad and a little irrationally envious. Don't ask me to make sense at this hour.

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger ChemMom said...

This will get those web juices flowing - another tag!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home