Wednesday, December 21, 2005

'Tis the Season

It's hard to believe that I'm the mother of a year and half old toddler, but that's what the calendar says. And observation of the little person that keeps running around this place confirms it. Despite watching what I'm sure is too much television, she seems to be coming along just fine. She pretty much knows her shapes, colors, letters and numbers (not in order yet), and can count to 3 or 5, depending on her mood. She loves books, and will sit through 1 to 3 decent length stories at a time, or more if they're small. She's also mastered buckling her highchair straps, but hasn't figured out the unbuckling thing.

Last year little M was too young to fully appreciate the gift opening experience, but I think she'll enjoy it much more this year. I suspect next year will be the really big one, though. Santa might even become more than a random stranger. I'm hoping to fill the season with lots of fun things for her to remember and look forward to every year, rather than having it be all about getting presents. Tricky.

I absolutely love Christmas time, and I shamelessly admit that for me, it's really all about the decorations. My favorite tradition as a kid was when we would all pile into the car and drive around looking at the lights. They seemed so magical and beautiful to me, especially when there was a good blanket of snow to set them off. And so far, our little one seems to share my joy in the twinkling festivity of the holiday. She has been very helpful in reminding me to turn on our tree and mantle lights as soon as she gets up in the morning, and any time we are out and about in the evening, she points out the most spectacular displays with a sincere, "Ohhhhhhhhh!" It's a wonderful thing.

1 Comments:

At 12:42 AM, Blogger ChemMom said...

Update needed (said the pot to the kettle.) Here's the perfect opportunity: TAG! Follow the link to my blog for explanation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home