Thursday, November 06, 2008

Surprise!

Okay, I know this post is out of order, but with all the jet lag and then being slammed with Halloween festivities, I put it off. So!

About two weeks ago we flew to Seattle for my sister-in-law's birthday. A total SURPRISE! It was so fun! We hid around corners, ready to jump out at her about 4 or 5 times thinking we heard her driving up before she actually got home. We were a bit excited! Of course, I didn't know until after we surprised her that she actually hates surprises. But she didn't make us leave immediately, so I think we're forgiven. Her husband was in cahoots (is that how you spell it?) and probably took most of the blame. :o)

After she finally took in the fact that we were actually there, and there wasn't some tragic reason for our appearance, we had a really great weekend. Great company, great food, great weather. It was one of those perfect trips where everything went well, and the only bad thing was that it was too short.

The best part for me was seeing Little M just basking in the love from her Aunt and Uncle. What a wonderful thing! She got plenty of storytime with Aunt D, and was pleased to surpervise LouLou in the proper preparation and assembly of a peanut butter-banana-apple snack (it's important to spread the peanut butter smoothly on the apple, not leave it in a pile on the plate, apparently). Not having any family in town can be tough sometimes, and watching the little moments of M connecting with them was really important to me. Even though she doesn't see them much, they've made a big impression on her, and she loves them a ton.

Did I mention great food yet? Because trips are almost always about food, in my book. I love food. Aside from great meals out, we had some awesome bbq ribs, and Aunt M even made some amazing homemade cinnamon rolls. I didn't ask for the recipe or pay too close attention, because I really CAN'T afford to know how to make those! Besides, I'm completely confused by dough that gets kneeded or needs to be left to rise. They usually require instructions like, "let it rise until it doubles, then punch down" or "kneed it until if feels silky". Confusing! What if I stop when it feels like polyester, or flannel? Does it ever feel like a cotton/poly blend? How will I tell the difference? Well, anyway, I'm glad other people have this real baking stuff down. Someday I'll get adventurous and give it a shot.

Also, while we were there, we spent some time with our friend, Martha. Not enough time, as usual, but it was great to see her. We wandered around a Japanese garden after a stop at a coffee shop and a picnic lunch. The Fall leaves were gorgeous. It really was a wonderful, though way too short, vacation. Just what we needed!

If you want to see more pictures from the trip, they're here.

3 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Blogger Tina said...

Oh, I wish we could have been there. I LOVE the pictures! What a beautiful garden!

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Johnson-n-Johnson said...

THAT seriously is the msot beautiful garden I have ever seen. And,Gretchen, picture 23 is gorgeous. You look stunning. Seriously! Thanks for loving my mom so much! brandi

 
At 3:05 AM, Blogger Brew Crew said...

It was the best birthday of my entire life!!!!! I had so much fun with M and the rest of you. I seriously think Santa needs to bring a WEB CAM...Hello.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home